Thursday, January 5, 2012

Source

Wholesome.
It’s a word I don’t use a lot, but I’m still very thankful for.
The word itself in a funny way reminds me of Wheaties. I don’t know why…maybe because “whole” wheat is on the box or something. Or maybe like the old Campbell soup commercials with the kids smiling over a hearty bowl...mmmmm. Wholesome. Good for ‘ya. Delightful. Funny that I mostly think of food.
Anyway…so why am I thankful for this word? Because I realize that the influences in my life that have shaped me into the person I am today have come from and value a wholesome source.
My parents value what is wholesome in relationships, in entertainment, in lifestyle… because they value and worship God who is HOLY. Now I know these two words are different, and their definitions are to be kept separate. But I want to make the point that our God who perfect and without sin also defines complete wholeness and infinite goodness.
What is the definition, by the way? Wholesome, according to dictionary.com, means:
"Conducive to moral or general well-being; salutary; beneficial."
There are so many things which have influenced me in a wholesome way, but hands down, God’s Word has been the most significant. It’s far more than just an “influence,” but bear with me. Just as I began by alluding to food, God’s Word is nourishment without which I’d be malnourished.

When all the talk and sales around New Year becomes new diet fads and great exercise equipment to try out, a lot of people search to try and fill in the hole in their life which is screaming out for “true” nourishment. We all recognize unhealthy habits or influences in our lives. Unfortunately, many don’t look past their food and exercise regiments to find the nourishment for which their soul has been crying out since birth. They may even recognize they need to cleanse themselves emotionally or mentally…but they never make it to the Source of wholeness, spiritually.

So here’s to a wholesome 2012…may it be a year of turning to the Source…Him who can give us wholeness bodily, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

No comments: