Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Today I visited the World Vision exhibit at Minnehaha Academy, called
Experience: AIDS
It's running from the 3rd to the 10th, and you shouldn't miss it.
Today, Emaye, Abaye, Noodle and I visited, and it was worth it; we each learned the story of a different child whose life was affect by AIDS or HIV.


It seems to me that whenever someone brings up the topic of AIDS or HIV, people immediately become nervous, or even indifferent, as if they have heard everything there is to hear about it already in 7th grade health class.
I know, because admittedly, until Emaye and Abaye began this campaign to educate others about this topic, one of these was typically my own response.
However, not anymore.
Today I met Babirye.
The red + symbol was stamped on my hand today when I was listening to the story of Babirye. She is a real child, who found out that she had HIV when she was about 12. She received it at birth, though her twin sister did not.
Children don't get to "choose" if they want HIV or not. Babirye's faith in God helped keep her strong, however... and through prayer and fighting this disease, Babirye and her mother and sister are now claiming victory over it by God's grace.
Emaye and Abaye are passionate about having people shed ignorance about AIDS, and their campaign is on their blog, http://emaye-abaye.blogspot.com/ and also on Facebook, if you look up the group Tell Two Campaign.

No comments: