Friday, October 16, 2009

A string of thoughts

I love my job in the Blue Room.
But today, I was happy to be going home for the weekend.
I sat in my car at the stoplight on Lydia and Snelling, content to catch a red light so that I could simply listen.
Listen to the symphony on MPR, and to the noise of my squeaky wipers on the windshield.
Listen to the rain beat against the top of the car.
Listen to the spray of water against the curb, as the oncoming traffic steadily drove me by.
I watched as the blinkers of the car in front of me and the car behind me kept tempo with the woodwinds and the low strings.
Life, in its slightest moments, has a soundtrack. You just have to be aware of it.

I love having one of those moments where a stranger is the recipient of one of my genuine smiles. I can try all I want to smile at a complete stranger in a warm and infectious way-- but strangely, my best attempts only ever happen by coincidence.
Whenever I've just finished laughing with a friend and glance at someone...
when I'm walking away from a humorous conversation...
when I'm laughing to myself about a sarcastic comment I hardly refrained from dishing.
Those are the moments when I'll accidentally catch someone's eye and release the rest of that happy moment on them.
I love having those moments. I hope they enjoy them as well.

There is something about getting a hair-cut that always infuses a little confidence in my step again. I go home, show it off to my roommates, and revel in the feeling of soft locks and a clean scalp the rest of the night. However, I think it's always the next morning that reveals a lack of confidence in one's own ability to style hair.

I pride myself in being adventurous and creative when it comes to cullinary experiences. Especially when I get the chance to make something new I've never attempted before.
Today I baked a Butternut Squash. (Hooray!)
It was delicious.
I made it with brown sugar, butter, and salt...and I topped it with mushrooms and onions sauteed in brown sugar.
My roommate, bless her heart, and I had a conversation. We decided that we are glad God made everyone with different likes and dislikes; if He hadn't the world would not be a creative or varietous (is that a word?) place.

On a more serious and devotional note, today I asked myself a question which I did not know how to answer.
When I was working this morning, the thought popped into my head: "What---about my relationship with God---brings me great and true joy?"
The fact that I cannot answer that at the moment tells me that I have a lot to think about.
Of course I would be able to give the exact text-book/Piper-parroting answer that some might hope I could recite. But I want to be vulnerable and honest with myself before I decieve myself into thinking I am always on the right track.
I don't always desire vulnerability. But my soul craves it.
My pride doesn't desire humbling. But my heart is blessed by it.

A taste of the Lord is to be made new again. Not simple refreshment, but Freshness.
I am righteous in His eyes, because of His Son... and there is no false pride in this statement, because of grace. Thank you Jesus.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow, Helen. I really love this post. Filled with deep thoughts and quite poetic :) Yay!

Helen Martha said...

Thanks Heidi! :) It's from the heart.

Heather said...

Maybe a second question you could ask yourself would be.... What about your relationship with the Lord brings Him true joy?

It is easy to see and experience pleasure. It is much harder to see how (or sometimes IF) you are pleasing someone else.

Helen Martha said...

good point...