Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I'm not in Kansas, but there was a tornado!

Here I sit in Denver, waiting another two hours before my flight to Anchorage. It was delayed a little bit, as there was a tornado in Denver here. Luckily, it passed pretty quickly, and my flight came in right before it actually started. I planned some pretty long layovers. As much as I love traveling, and flying in general, I think airplane air gives me a headache. Across from me at the waiting gate is an older couple with two little dogs. One is eating the older lady's french fries that she just got from McDonalds...lol. The other is looking on hopefully, waiting to see if she too will receive a treat. I've wanted to ask if I could pet them, but you never know how touchy people are in the airport. But a man is now giving them some love and attention, so if they don't leave on the flight before me, I might ask later. Today I have done a few Sudokus, but I stopped mid-way through a "very hard" one, because I think it may have been only contributing to the airport headache...hah. It is funny how many people you see in public places that almost look like someone you know...it's enough to give you a jolt and make you take a second look, just to make sure. I am excited just to see how different a culture it is from Minnesota up in Anchorage. We think Minnesotans have a reputation....I wonder what Alaskans will be like :) I won't know until I'm there awhile, I guess. I reserve my opinion for when I have been there over a week or two. Plus, I won't be traveling around Alaska much, so I won't get a fully fair representation. Anyway...I think I've had my fill of people watching today, though it is something I enjoy. It's just a bit overwhelming when you are around people for long periods of time. Boy, I need to quit whining. Tomorrow I am going to visit the Anchorage Museum of History and Art, as well as the Culture and Heritage center. I'm excited for that. Hopefully the next two days are decent weather to be walking around the city. If I had any humorous insights about the day or about the human race or life in general, I would insert them here. But humor is escaping me at the moment. Not that it is ever-present with me anyway. I personally think I am turning out a bit like Dad and Grandpa Spann with my "corny jokes." But I will fight it just a bit longer, until it is no longer deniable. So long for now....I am going to gaze longingly at the cute doggies' soft fur, and maybe (hopefully) muster up the courage to make friends with them :)Until later!H

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I am so excited for you! Hope your headache went away quickly and all the rest of the trip went smoothly :)

Heather said...

i say go right ahead and pat the little doggy.

Anonymous said...

Trust you are in Anchorage now and over your headache-- maybe you should travel like Uncle B with dog treats in your one pocket, and Tylenol in the other! Love you much- mom