Saturday, May 29, 2010

Today was a modge podge day.
After finishing up some reading, I went to Falafel King for dinner. It was run by an Israeli woman, whose daughter and friends were also eating dinner at the time (the place only fit about eight people in it, and I could pretty much see the whole kitchen.) She introduced me to her family, and gave me a comlimentary cherry for dessert :D Ahhh, I love the Israelis. She was from Jaffa, where I went when I was in Israel. The falafel was excellent. And huge.

The rain in Anchorage the last two days has been odd. Completely sunny yesterday, a few clouds here and there, and yet it rained. It rained today, when it was mostly cloudy, for about an hour....but I never got "wet." It was such a light rain that I never had more than a couple drops on me at once.
I walked through the Anchorage Memorial Graveyard, which seemed so peaceful in the midst of the city around it. The rain almost made it seem as if there was someone there, shedding tears for the deceased. When I looked at the tombstones, one thing surprised me: life is so short. It sounds trite, but it is a weighty reminder.

Well, I walked to the 4th Ave. Market, and got ice cream, then went down a few more streets to see the train station and to look at Cook inlet.

It wasn't a busy day, but I'm glad for that. I will have enough thrown at me in the next couple days with just getting to work, and going through training. I'm excited, though! I don't know when I'll get to post again for awhile, so cherio for now.

"Milo, you haven't eaten your tapioca. No wonder you have a nervous stomach...."
Don't know why I felt compelled to throw that one in ;)

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I love the story about the rain! It's pretty mountainous out there isn't it? Mountain rain is always unique :)