Monday, May 31, 2010

I might just poop my pants. And do a little dance.

A couple of days ago, I wrote in my journal that as I Christian, I do not need to write the "Why am I here?" question down. God has a purpose, and a plan for wherever he has me. The last few days, I have asked the "Why am I here?' question about twenty times. I do not doubt that God has a plan for me, but it must be so much bigger than I can begin to imagine or expect. I am probably the most unsure of myself yet the most excited for a challenge I have ever been. I'm scared senseless. Then I'm chomping at the bit to get learning. Then I'm scared senseless again. God definitely has some plans for personal growth in mind for this summer. For living my faith. Loud. In the world. In the middle of nowhere. Hah.

On the bus ride from Anchorage to our first stop at Denali Cabins (sister operation) there were five Russians, three other Americans, and five Bulgarians. It has been awesome getting to know the Bulgarians and Russians. I love being a minority! I am rooming for the summer with a Bulgarian named Katerina...she has worked here before, three years ago. She seems very very nice, and is excited to be improving her English, as well...lol. Oh, and by the way, the staff housing isn't as "rough" as they made it seem....they haven't been using the canvas wall tents since four years ago. There is electricity and heat.

Back to the whole "living my faith" thing. I have gotten a lot of questions already about how my lifestyle is a bit different than that of everyone else. I have been asked what a purity ring is, what it is to be a missionary, what "Ephesians" is, and have talked about "devotional" times. People have seen me turn down a beer, and still have a good time, and they also have noticed that my language is not the same is theirs. And I don't just mean my Minnesotan accent. :D

Stepping out of the Christian bubble has been great. Ok, so people smoke a pack, drink a ton, and swear like sailors, but their lives are real. Just hearning the emotion come from a 25 year old mom who is figuring out what she believes about God, and talking to a 27 year old Iowan guy who is a Jack of all trades- literally- who wants to figure out what Ephesians is, and why it was on the back of my shirt. I am so excited. And scared. God can do whatever he wants thru me, and it won't be by any of my power. Praise God.
Love ya'll. H

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh, Helen! Look at you! Already having an impact on those around you and you've hardly been gone! You are going to have a wonderful summer (maybe pretty rough at times), but when you look back on this time of your life, I know you'll smile :)

You're in my prayers!

Unknown said...

Dear sweet daughter!
We give praise to God for this report from you. And are praying that He will use you in mighty ways-- remember, you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you. Col. 1:9-12 mom

Heather said...

Good to hear... and have to note that mom is completely blog-stalking you. She called me and left a voicemail on my cellphone to take a look at this blog. ;)

Funny story... Michael accidentally caught a robin in our chipmunk trap. So we called mom and reported that it is, indeed, a bad year for robins.

Jann said...

Hi Helen... It was certainly fun to read about your adventures so far! Thanks for sharing this site with me. I used to sing a song with my kids (a verse from Isaiah 41:10). "Fear not for I am with you, be not dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and I will help you. I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness." I still sing it to them when they are afraid of something... and life will always bring challenges. But it's so good to know the Lord is always right there with us. Have fun getting to know your new friends. Jann

Jennifer said...

Love the stories, Helen! Keep 'em coming. Praying for you tonight.... hope this summer is a great experience for you!

Anonymous said...

this is so awesome! :)