Friday, June 4, 2010

Wow. So here I am, sitting in front of Moose Creek, after an amazing morning. We had our first “day off” today, in which we were just going to get a few more things done before our first guests arrive today. I decided I’d sleep in, maybe until around 8:30. As I walk to the bathhouse, the lead Naturalist Erick says, “Helen, you’re going to the airstrip at 8:45 for a flightsee. Be on the deck in fifteen.” My jaw just dropped….I was so excited! The three other guides and I got to go up in a bush plane to fly right up to Denali, and all the way around it. We saw base camp, and some backpackers that are currently on their way up. It was astounding!
Life’s been so interesting here at Denali Backcountry Lodge, referred to as DBL from here on out. I feel like I have learned so much in just a short amount of time, about plants, animals, life for miners, history, the mountain, etc. It’s been so cool to experience the nature that has been preserved in this park, and it gives me an insight as to why they want to preserve it and keep it protected from the impact of traffic. The park rules may seem a little strict and formal at times, as far as where one can go, what one can do, and how things are run, but I can see exactly why things are run this way. Once you are in Denali National Park and Preserve for more than two days, you begin to become protective of it, just by seeing how delicate and impressionable it is.
Anyway, I’ve made some great friends already, and I’m not the only Minnesotan out here either. As far as all the returning staff have been telling me, I pretty much have the best job out here at DBL. I’m starting to think so, too :) Plus, within the last two days, I’ve gotten to learn some handy stuff as well…chopping wood, putting up some fence, and a gate, nailing boards down in the walkway, putting up extra porch screen with a staple gun, how to light a pilot in the heaters, use a power washer, and I’m sure there is more I’m not thinking of at the moment. It’s been so much fun!
Of course, I’ve become a fevered gold-panner, too. :)
Today we took our first dry run of guests on the “Fannie Quigley” hike and the botany walk. It went pretty well. The lead naturalist is already saying that he wants to steal me from my GSR position to use me as a true beginner guide, and set me up with some of the hikes. Gosh…. I love it here. We’ll see how the position thing progresses during the summer.
Well, got to go for now. Love you all back home, and send me emails, or Facebook me! Or I don’t mind snail mail, either! My address is: Helen Fuhrman, c/o Denali Backcountry Lodge PO box 229, Denali Park Alaska 99755

Sorry, I was going to try and put up some pictures to go along with this post, but it was taking toooo long, and there are other people waiting for the computer. I'll try to get them up tomorrow.
Love!

2 comments:

Heather said...

mannnn... such a bummer, you were flying around, and I was working. Why didn't you bring me in your carryon?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like way too much fun-- your poor old mom & dad are jealous!!!