God definitly is doing something out here this summer, both in the relationships I have been forming with the people I have met out here in the middle of Alaska, but also in my own life. Without the influence of many many Christians around me, just me and the Lord--it has been quite a clarifying and sharpening time between just the two of us. No voices crowding in--it's been interesting. I hear a lot more of my own thoughts, but it is also very clear where the world's thinking has come in, and where I need to be hearing God's voice more as well. I have had quite the opportunity to ask lots of questions, both of other people, and of myself about what I believe, why I believe it, and how it affects how I live. I appreciate all the prayers I can get, for both my personal relatiship with God, how it will continue to grow and sharpen...and also for the relationships that I have built with people out here. I pray myself that I am salt and light, and that my speech is seasoned with grace, not accusation or judgment. Many have told me that I am the least "judgmental" Christian they have meet, but this is not the only thing I want them to see in me as a Christian, obviously. I want them to see hope and forgiveness. I want them to know grace.
There is one guy I know that is intent on asking lots of questions; he is certain that religion is simply an attempt at answering questions, a mismatched series of square pegs in round holes, attempting to put a bandaid on life's problems. A lot of theological and philisophical questions. I don't know that I am quite equipped to answer all of them. For the most part, I don't even know if he wants the answers I would give him... he thinks Christianity is primative and naive. Religion in general. How do you level with someone who thinks faith has nothing to do with answering life's ultimate questions?
On the other hand, my good guide friend just asked today if it was hard to be away from church all the time, since I've "grown up" with it. I told her that it was hard to be away from people whom I can freely talk about with my faith about and have them understand. She said that she doesn't exactly know what she believes. She hopes there is a heaven, and that everyone should do good in life. Then she said if I ever want to talk about "faith and religion and stuff" she'd be an open ear.
Well, enough for now. I hope everyone is well at home!
Love, Helen
1 comment:
Wow, Helen, you are getting some great conversation and relationship opportunities! Love the updates. =) Good to hear from you, too... and I hope you are taking a lot more pictures than you post, cuz I want to see them when you get back! Miss you.
Lord, I pray you fill Helen up with so much of you that she just overflows to all the people around her. Give her Your wisdom as she answers difficult questions, but more than that, help Your love and grace and hope to be evident in her life, and cause those around her to be drawn closer to You through that. Keep her encouraged, and help her to continue listening to You and growing through this time away and in the beauty of Your creation. Amen.
Love you, girl! =)
Post a Comment