So the past few days have been astounding. I have talked to non-believers
more about God than I think I ever have collectively in my life. And the funny
thing is, for the most part, they have been the ones asking the questions. God
has given me boldness to share truth about my life and about Himself which I
might have in the past felt hesitant to share in a given situation. The fact that my
life is foremost a witness first brings forth many opportunities.
I thank God for Tia and Tara, who are two girls I have connected with that are
believers, but both need some encouragement. Tara I don't get to see much at
all, because she works at the front end of the park at Denali Cabins. Sweet and
genuine girl. She's been through a lot the last few years, though, and was
unfortunately given the cold shoulder by the church in a huge misunderstanding.
Tia works out here, though, and she is the greatest :D I think I will just love
getting to know her. Pray for Tia, though, and her husband, (also my boss)
Erick. Tia is a strong believer, but is going through one of those periods we all
go through, struggling for joy in God. It's also hard for her, becuase Erick is not
a believer. He is one of the most talented, intelligent, charismatic, hilarious guys
I have ever met, as well as a strong leader. But as Tia was telling me, there is a
reason people caution you not to be unequally yoked. Spiritual leadership and
encouragment is vital, and she is missing it. He describes himself as "one of the
most aware agnostics" you will come across. We've had some cool
conversations already, and I can see God using him to challenge me in my
thinking as well, to dig deeper. He's got Tia's family praying for him already, but
it wouldn't hurt to have a few extra :)
I've talked a bit with Stefanie, who is from Germany. She teaches the yoga class
here at DBL, and is actually Hare Krishna. I need to think back to my world
religions class and study up a bit. It's been interesting talking to her, though. She
is very "spiritual," and I want to genuinely get to know her better.
I've talked a lot with Tess and Marty, this amazing couple who are like our
parents/friends. Both are really open to talking about religions, and their own
backgrounds. Tess loves it when I play hymns on my violin for her, and she
almost made me cry with the emotion that came out of her when I was playing
Amazing Grace. She said it was played at her grandfather's and father's funerals. I think, coming from a Catholic background, they struggle with the whole "rules"
type of doctrine, and think a lot of Christianity has to do with works. I shared a
little bit about my testimony with them.
I talked with Meaghan, who is single mom in her younger twenties. She was
commenting how she and another co-worker noticed as a Christian, I seem to be
so well-rounded, and accepting of people from all walks of life, not preachy or
condemning. That is a relief...I have been hoping my actions (or lack of certain
kinds) haven't been pushing people away, but rather stimulating and challenging.
We talked about what it meant to be a "missionary" who doesn't overtake
culture, but one who rather endeavors to present truth which transforms hearts
from the God of all cultures.
Pray for me. Pray for what God is doing here this summer. Love you all!
2 comments:
So cool, Helen! Thanks for sharing that. I will be praying for those people you're connecting with and all the opportunities you have. We miss your violin, so I hope they are enjoying it!! lol.
Helen... wow. It sounds like you are right where the Lord wants you to be this summer. So glad to hear about all these people you've met. You have such a sweet sensitive spirit... I'm sure they all love visiting with you. I'll be praying that the Lord will use you in their lives. I was glad to hear you brought your violin. Have you gone out in the middle of the woods with it yet?
Post a Comment